Sri Lanka is a beautiful island surrounded by sea. So, no wonder why surfing in Sri Lanka is so much famous and people love it. There are so many great locations around, and you may be wondering can I surf in Unawatuna
Without a doubt, You can surf in Unawatuna. it is the most famous location to surf in Sri Lanka. The waves are perfect. Both beginners and expert surfers CAN surf in Unawatuna. It is a famous beach among beginners due to the friendly waves
There is a vibrant and active surfer community here. Just 5 kilometres south of Galle, you can find the lovely coastal town.
In case you are a beginner, there’s nothing to sweat about. There are excellent diving schools where you can learn the sport. The instructors will go step-by-step with you. Even if you are not a good swimmer, surfing school Unawatuna would be happy to teach you the basics.
If you are expecting to surf in Unawatuna in your next vacation, there are few things that are worth knowing. Let’s dive in.
Unawatuna – Surfer’s Paradise in South of Galle(Intro)
Unawatuna is a major and astounding tourist spot located in Galle district, and this is where you can snorkel, dive, and watch some aquatic creatures live in action. The coastal town of Unawatuna has a beautiful beach to relax and soak up the sun.
The sparkling clean water is ideal for water sports. Honeymooners can enjoy spending quality time at the luxurious villas, friends and colleagues can indulge in water sports and a couple of drinks by the beach.
Gorgeous reef, stunning beach, private and romantic villas, great food, and many adventurous activities await you!
The Best Surfing Spots In Unawatuna
Unawatuna Bay is quite famous. It has a larger crowd as compared to other places and is primarily known as a ‘surfing spot’.
Here’s a list of all the best surfing spots in this area. Let’s take a quick look at it!
- Bonavista Bay – The waves are from 3 feet to 5 feet. Bonavista Bay is ideal for beginners and has the perfect swell.
- Unawatuna Beach Break – Surfing for beginners is possible at the main beach. The beginner waves are right here!
- Dalawella Reef – Here’s a left breaker for adventure enthusiasts. It is just 120 meters from the main Unawatuna Beach.
- South Beach – Ready for a great longboard wave? Head to South Beach!
- Kabalana Beach Break – Smaller waves for beginners. However, the main point of the Kabalana has a rip current. Be careful as there are no lifeguards here.
Note – The best way to enjoy a good surfing session at Unawatuna is to learn the sport from a school. They would take you to the beginner waves, and slowly, you would get promoted to the bigger waves.
Best Time to Surf in Unawatuna
Unawatuna Bay has right handed breaks. Come between November to April and you will find less crowd in this area. Beginners can learn the sport without any interruption and full attention from the instructors.
The experts can master their existent skills and become better surfers! Beginners need not worry about the crashing waves as the famous points are safe for novices.
It is best to start slow and not get too adventurous at the beginning itself. You have many more water sports in Sri Lanka to enjoy! Take baby steps in surfing, but you can try snorkeling or diving in this area.
Tips For A Great Surfing Holiday At Unawatuna
- November to April is the best time to visit Unawatuna for surfing. Great waves!
- Sri Lanka is an ideal surfing island for both beginners and experts.
- You must rent a longboard. The longer it is, the better it will be!
- Wear something comfortable. During the summer months, you may feel hot during surfing. Wear little shorts and a comfortable t-shirt or even a bikini! It could get hot during March and April.
- Morning time is the best for surfing. Clean waves and great weather! What more would a surfer want? Enjoy the rest of the afternoon drinking like a fish and eating local Sri Lankan cuisine. Did I tell you that Sri Lankan food is lip-smacking?
- Avoid surfing between 11 am to 3:30 PM. The heat is too strong. Morning time and evening time tends to be the best to enjoy a good surfing session. No pinching heat, perfect water temperature, and good waves to crash!
- Sri Lanka gets 330 plus days of sunshine throughout the year. The water temperature is pleasant and stays at 27 degrees Celsius.
- Unawatuna is recommended for surfers of all levels. Beginners, intermediates, and experts are welcome at the bay!
- Combine the surfing tour with diving, snorkeling, and kite surfing session. It is an ideal family surfing destination, but there are other exciting water sports for children and elderly people as well.
List of Surfing Spots In Sri Lanka
Although Unawatuna is a great place to start, you can explore other spots in Sri Lanka for a great surfing session. Luckily, you will never run out of options because there are many popular places.
- Arugam Bay – This has to be one of the most popular spots for surfing. If you want to hone your skills or learn the sport, get enrolled in one of the surf schools, and get certified. Certifications are great as you can become an instructor later on! The best time to visit Arugam Bay for surfing is from May to October. The right-hand wave breaks here means that the surfer has to turn right to get on the waves.
Locals and tourists define Arugam Bay as Bali’s Kuta Beach. That’s because Kuta Beach used to look like Arugam Bay 30 years ago. After a surf session, chill at the restaurants and eat good food.
- Hikkaduwa – Travel to the East Coast and find Hikkaduwa. This has both right and left-handed breaks. It basically means that the adventurer/surfer can turn either way to get on top of a wave.
Hikkaduwa shore is ideal for beginners. The waves are consistent and the water temperature is just right!
- Weligama – Both right and left-handed breaks. Surfers can experience both at Weligama! The Weligama Bay is perfect for beginners as well as expert surfers.
- Mirissa – This place has a very low-key vibe to it, but is excellent for surfing. You can also get entry into the whale watching tour. Isn’t it amazing to be up close and personal with Mother Nature?
The aquatic world is quite alluring. Perhaps you could wear your snorkel gear and flippers to get a good look at the marine creatures. The ideal time to go here for surf sessions is November to April.
Why Should You Head To Sri Lanka For Surfing?
Pristine beaches, great instructors, reliable gear, and all-year-round access to water sports – why shouldn’t you head to Sri Lanka? Sri Lanka is a great surfing destination all-year-round with good waves for beginners and experts.
While you are waiting for the waves to come, you might even see little turtles popping up from the sand. Fortunately, the beaches are unspoiled by human activity. This shows how careful the locals are to keep their space and Mother Nature sparkling clean!
No matter what your level is, go to Sri Lanka as the ocean embraces you with open arms. Don’t forget that this island nation has jaw-dropping and earth-shattering views. You have to see it to believe it!
Overall, we find that there are some great spots for surfing in Sri Lanka. The island nation has such clean and user-friendly waves, both beginners and experts can enjoy the water sport to the fullest
All you need to do is get in touch with a reputed surfing school in the area. Speak to them about your level and how much time it takes to ACE the waves! Our suggestion is NOT to be ambitious. Even if you are a good swimmer, start slow and learn the techniques. The water sport is even more fun when you know everything about surfing.
Long boarders and short boarders are going to have a GALA time at Unawatuna. So, pack your gear, find an instructor and get ready to crash the waves!